Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Staci's frugal & practical ways....revealed Part 1-The Kitchen

Staci's Kitchen frugal and practical ways!

1. Use cloth dish towels more often vs. paper towels. I only use paper towels to clean mirrors, trash cans, and cat throw up. I use them sparingly! I wash the towels often and use white vinegar in the washer to help with any smells occasionally. I buy the thick towels often at Target on the after the season sales (50-75% off). I find the least holiday looking ones and use all year round.

2. Wash and reuse plastic baggies. Do not reuse ones that were used for meat, eggs, and cheese. But for goldfish why not? Wash with dish soap and hot water and rinse. Place the slightly wet plastic baggie, still inside out and upside down so the water will drain off, up to a clean painted wall (doesn’t work on wallpaper or textured walls). The baggie will stick to the wall and dry. Or stand up right on a towel. Once it is dry fold, turn right side out, and put in a "used" box in the drawer.

3. Reuse aluminum foil. Use your best judgment on this tip but if a little food (spaghetti sauce for example) gets on it RINSE IT, let dry, fold and store for another time.

4. I use a cut up lemon (when on sale) to deodorize and clean my disposal. Shown here

5. I only burn candles that I got for dirt cheap or free with coupons. I don't pay for air fresheners or Scentsy products. But Scentsy gifts given to me are very welcome! :0) Look at my air freshener stash (I did give some away) that I got for free using coupons found Here

6. Sometimes I splurge happily for a worthwhile investment....I bought The Debbie Meyer Greenboxes and green bags from Home Shopping Network (my first time buying from HSN) to preserve the life of my fresh produce, breads, and cheese. THEY WORK WELL and with garden produce season coming it's WELL worth the investment of $50 including shipping!

7. I use powdered milk in some of my cooking and sometimes on my kid's cereal. We drink the good stuff and I am willing to pay for the good stuff! I often buy milk on clearance and freeze it in the deep freezer **NOTE: open up the milk and drink a bit and close it to leave room for expansion in the freezer** I recommended using it up in a month or so.

8. I regularly buy almost expired bread from a local bread outlet store or the grocery store. I come home and freeze it. I only buy 100% whole wheat with high fiber and NO High Fructose Corn Syrup. Someday I want to make whole wheat bread exclusively. For now I use my bread maker for dough (calzones, pizza, and sometimes french bread). I always have a goal to do more from scratch bread baking.

9. We grow a Garden on our 1/2 acre of land each year. I have lots of post on how we grow seeds in pots in our grow light system on the above link. It's almost time to start them indoors in Utah! We preserve, freeze, and can as much as possible. Last year we sold our excess at the local farmer's market and made some good fun money. Gardening and canning is something I have learned in the last 4 years. I am enjoying the challenge and risk gardening provides. I like knowing what's in MY soil, WHAT seeds WE are growing, and how the food is preserved!

10. We eat a lot of lean wild game meat. My husband is a big game hunter and loves it. We eat elk, mule deer (not my favorite), antelope (he eats that not me), moose, and once a buffalo. I try to cook with it as much as possible. We also eat chicken, beef, fish, and ground turkey. I have some of our family friendly Recipes if you are interested.

11. I try to have healthy snacks planned and set out for my kids on the counter and water cups available within their reach. In order to get them eat their dinner...no more snacks after 4:00-4:30 pm because dinner is at 5:20ish when my husband gets home.

12. I am trying to be a better menu planner weekly and it's going great. It is saving me so much money, stress time, and my husband and kids are interested in dinner and helping me cook. The husband can't help if he doesn't know the plan. I am not wasting as much food in the fridge either. You gotta eat why not make a plan? My husband doesn't mind leftovers for lunch. A great resource for my menu planning comes from Org Junkie- Menu-plan-monday I like her free menu planning sheets! Check it out.

13. Reuse plastic grocery sacks for your trash can liners in the house (and for dirty diapers in an empty wipes container). I don't buy Glad bags, etc.

14. I cut my coupon purchased Electrasol dishwasher tabs in half as shown Here. I do buy Jet dry which is expensive! I use a cup of white vinegar during a regular cycle (without dishes) every once in a while to clear out the system-My Sears repair man told me to do this. I have a water softner so I can cut them in half & use Jet Dry and they still are clean.

15. Add a little water to my liquid dish washing soap dispensers. About a 1/3 water and 2/3rds liquid dish washing soap. Shake and let the bubbles sit. I think it's just as effective.

16. I reuse glass Classico spaghetti jars for canning as shown here: Reuse glass jars for canning


17. I Make my own fancy birthday cakes. I enjoy doing this for each kids personality.

I know there are probably more things for my KITCHEN but that's a good start to share with you. Stay tuned for the laundry room next. Feel free to pipe in with your best tips. I love to learn!

**I am not paid by a company for saying any of this-I wish!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. Blessings on your day. Come back soon.