When I shop I am always thinking ahead. I saw these cute puppies for 75% off at Walmart in late February. They were on the after Valentine's day clearance and they came to be $2.50 a piece. They don't scream Valentine's day red or a "lovey dovey" V-day theme. It was right then I had the idea-How about an adopt a puppy party for my daughter's birthday? The idea stemmed from the Build a Bear workshop concept. You know the concept-you go to stations in the store with a stuffed animal. I can't afford to take 9 girls to Build a Bear and this sounded like fun to create my own party at home.

I used our washed cat crate for the puppies. I made puppy adoption certificates in Microsoft Publisher for each child. (A lot like the build a bear certificates with: height, eye color, weight, new puppy name, date, and signature of the new owner)
Station 2 & 3- Grooming and Bathing
I used things from our house- Doll brushes & combs, a Fisher Price vanity, pretend tub, pretend soap, pretend scissors, etc. The girl puppies received ribbons on their ears and the boy puppies received a blue ribbon around their necks.
Station #4- Veterinarian clinic check up
We used our play house and our doctor kit.
Station #5 Take a picture with your puppy.
We had a couple play cameras for the kids to use.
Station #6- Puppy water and snack station.
I put out human and "puppy" friendly snacks. I made puppy chow (see Part 2 the food for the recipe) & a cooler with water bottles.
Station #7- Read a book to your puppy.
I picked some books out about dogs or puppies for the kids to read.
Station # 8- Owner and puppy obstacle course
The picture doesn't show it really well but I had a slide, hula hoops, and little kid bikes for a mini obstacle course. The kids of course gravitated to the trampoline and swings with their puppies.
**I has this party on a friday from 5-7 p.m. I invited the whole family to stay for the party. I had a simple dinner for everyone. I prefer this over a "drop you kids off party on a Saturday afternoon" party. All the kids enjoyed the puppy stations and the adults chit-chatted in lawn chairs by the stations. It was the best of both worlds, in my opinion.**
Stay tuned for adopt a puppy party part 2-The food!





Awesome pictures, i loved them, thank you for sharing, you are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteNicole using Medela symphony theses days.