Monday, August 17, 2009

A Question!

Amanda wrote and asked, "Do you ever want to try growing something new in your garden? I ask because every spring I always want to try something new, but sometimes I need some inspiration! Two years ago I grew tomatillos, but this year we moved and I barely got a garden in. So... I am trying to decide for next year."

Stacy's answer: Yes, we have been growing a garden for 4 years in this house. Each year we add something new. Here's the new stuff we grew from seed in our basement.
I starred** the new items.
Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, **pineapple heirloom tomatoes,** brandy wine tomatoes, whopper tomatoes, sugary tomatoes, zucchini, crookneck, **Lebanese squash, many many watermelon varieties, **tiger melon,** golden thai melon, **collective farm woman melon (Russian variety), **Charantias melon (French melon), **Prescott fond blanc (French Melon), bell peppers, **huckleberries, cantaloupe, spinach, lettuce, eggplant, Hungarian wax hot peppers, cucumbers.

Here's a picture of our new Thai Melon. Isn't it a pretty melon?

We grew other new stuff (but not from seed) including: Gooseberries, Goliath strawberries, asparagus, blueberries, honey berries, kiwi (yes I wrote that), dewberries, and 5 varieties of grapes.

We purchase from various seed catalogs including:
www.rareseeds.com
www.eburgess.com
www.gurney.com
www.parkseed.com

My husband and I's gardening philosophy is GROW what you'll eat and share (or preserve/can)! Start small then you will see if you like the new items. Order some seed catalogs and have fun dreaming of what can grow in your gardening zone. Thanks for the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. Blessings on your day. Come back soon.