Thursday, January 29, 2009

How I came to be...some background...about me!

I wanted to include some background before I dive into the fun posts I have planned. First of all, I believe our childhood experience and backgrounds influence (not define-influence) who we are today. My childhood was spent on the east coast and I am an east coast girl at heart. Right now we are raising our family in Utah. I am proud to live in Utah but my soul longs for the east coast lifestyle and influences quite often.


I grew up in northern Virginia. I loved practicing and playing house with my sister. I always knew I wanted to be a Mom when I grew up. I had a wonderful childhood. I am who I am because of my mother.

I learned some valuable lessons and habits from my Mom: she took care of her husband, had a sense of style even when the budget was tight, taught me how to deep clean and organize, loved art, showed us healthy food choices, she led by example, loved the Lord, was wise with her money, said “no” to us kids, and loved her kids.

My Mom told me from an early age I was creative and artistic. My Mom and Dad were my biggest cheerleaders. She saw my natural love and passion for art and introduced me to the world of Interior Design. I was hooked after the first visit to a beautifully decorated Virginian model home as a young tween. I think we were both dreaming back then-mother and daughter. I fell in love with the fantasy of theme rooms, paint, fabrics, interior spaces, and making a space a personal reflection. It was natural for me to want to begin my own do-it-yourself projects with my mom including: stenciling my bedroom, painting furniture, making pillows & bedspreads, and recovering an old rocking chair. Those are wonderful memories.

It wasn’t a big surprise when I decided to spread my wings and head off to the Rocky Mountains to “BE” an Interior Designer. I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Interior Design.

I loved working in the design field and cherish the creative times I worked and lived my passion of design. My husband and I welcomed the planned news in 2003 that I was pregnant with our first child. I was so excited and nervous. Like most working professionals, I didn’t want to lose my skills and sense of “self” in relation to design after becoming a stay-at-home mother. It was a couple months after I was at home with my daughter that it dawned on me that being a stay-at-home mom and "mothering" will become my new full-time "art" of sorts. I was learning the art of mothering an infant, next a toddler, and so on. I found this new parenting journey to be exciting, challenging, rewarding, frustrating, and draining-a lot like the professional design career that I had been living prior to being a mother.

I continued to grow and learn in my new “art” and my passions changed from the corporate world to my new love and passion-the art of mothering my child. I have NO regrets of being a stay-at-home mom and am really glad I put the professional day to day life behind. I found other ways to challenge myself and be creative. I won't say at times I missed the corporate world and the money but overall I am fulfilled and grateful for the opportunity to stay home.

As my children have grown, I started a very part-time residential Interior Design business out of my home. I work mostly on personal referrals and it has been fun. I also have a supportive husband who keeps this right-brained gal grounded. Over the past 6 years we have been blessed with two more additions to our family and I am now a mother of three. I thank the Lord daily for them and my earthly privilege…To be a MOTHER! I hope in this blog I can share some of those right-brain creative design and mommy ideas with you. My mothering journey is always a work in progress and I hope this blog will reflect that to my readers. My posts may be sporadic and random but that will be the fun of it. I do have one disclaimer for this blog. I am a right-brained individual and NOT a journalist. I refuse to be confined to laws of grammar and punctuation. I choose to break and ignore grammar rules (to a certain extent) in the name of creativity and free expression! I hope you enjoy Designing and Motherhood. More pictures and posts coming…soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. Blessings on your day. Come back soon.